On The Blog

July 26, 2012

Chatting It Up With Ryan Christopher

I am so grateful for the opportunity to speak with celebrity stylist and native of Birmingham, AL, Ryan Christopher. He was truly a joy to interview. Often times when you meet people, you don’t get a true sense of who they really are. However, in my recent interview, I left knowing exactly who Ryan Christopher was….. and I wanted to know more about him! He is a gem, a real down-to-earth guy and he has a great spirit.   And yall, he didn’t shy away from giving me fashion advice on what to wear when I went to see Michelle Obama at the Sheraton.

The interview was my first personal interaction with Ryan Christopher though I have seen him on numerous occasions while shopping at Saks.  Ryan and I often shared pleasantries like a smile a time or two.  At one point, I thought he had stock in the Dior Boutique! J  Every time I saw Ryan, I noticed how immaculate he was. He was so well put together. His clothes looked as if they were tailored just for him and he always had on a pair of amazing sunglasses.
What I didn’t know then, was that Ryan has worked with numerous celebrities including LisaRaye McCoy, Jennifer Williams of the hit reality show “Basketball Wives”, Floyd Taylor, son of Legendary Blues Singer Johnny Taylor, and others. 


BAS: What is your full name?  
Ryan Christopher: Christopher Ryan Clark. When I entered into the industry I realized that I need to make my name stand out considering that is all you have in this business. So I decided to transverse my first and middle name.

BAS: Where are you from?
Ryan Christopher: I'm from Birmingham and I'm still based in Birmingham. My work is mostly in Atlanta, but I still live in Birmingham.

BAS: What’s important to you when styling clients?
Ryan Christopher: Personality!!!!  Some people can pull off stuff where others can't. Have you ever noticed a girl wearing an amazing dress, but it just wasn’t working for her? That is where confidence comes in.  A woman must always be comfortable in what she is wearing. If she isn’t, it shows. It is important to dress your client for their personality.  I never want the clothes to wear my client, the client should wear the clothes.

BAS: How did you get in the business?
Ryan Christopher:   I put on my first fashion show at Miles College, my alma-mater. Through this fashion show I gained so many contacts. I developed a relationship with Saks and some other vendors. I was also asked to do a fashion show in Nigeria.

BAS: What would you say to an aspiring stylist?
Ryan Christopher: Learn all you can. Don't be afraid to intern because that's how I learned a lot. You must have an eye but there's definitely a business side to it. A stylist once told me that you always see with your eyes. You can take a little of their process to help with your process.

BAS: Who would you say was your favorite client to work with?
Ryan Christopher: I have been blessed to work with wonderful people and I love them all the same.

BAS: What does personal style mean to you?
Ryan Christopher: Just really being you. Fashion/style is really just you...how you express yourself. When you stray...that's where the foolishness comes from.  Like someone trying to dress like Lady Gaga. Lol! Her personality/attitude is the reason she can pull that off…but the average person cannot.

BAS: Any advice for the Plane Janes of the world?
Ryan Christopher: Get style in your life....image is everything.

No comments

Post a Comment


UP